Tactics On How to Purify Water With Bleach
For an emergency period where usual service is interrupted- like a flood, hurricane, or water pipe breakage- local authorities suggest to use boiled water, bottled water disinfected water as long as the regular service revived.
The instructions here will show you the way to kill most disease causing microorganisms which are present in water. So, disinfection or boiling may not destroy other pollutants like salts, heavy metals, and most other chemicals.
Bleach need in different volume of water
Keep the water for at least for an hour and add some bleach before you like to drink it. If water has pH higher than 8 and colder than 10 degree C, let the water stand for at least 2 hours or more before drinking.
Gallons (liters) of water to be clean total of Household bleach (5%) to add*
1 gal (4.5 L) 2 drops (0.18 mL)
5 gal (23 L) 11 drops (0.9 mL)
2.5 gal (10 L) 5 drops (0.4 mL)
22 gal (100 L) 3/4 tsp (4 mL)
10 gal (45 L) 22 drops (1.8 mL)
50 gal (230 L) 1-3/4 tsp (9 mL)
45 gal (205 L) 1-1/2 tsp (8 mL)
220 gal (1000 L) 8 tsp (40 mL)
100 gal (450 L) 3-1/2 tsp (18 mL)
1000 gal (4550 L) 6.5 ounces or 12 tbsp (180mL)
500 gal (2200 L) 6 tbsp (90 mL)
Add household bleach for such amounts may produce water along with approx two parts per million of chlorine (0.0002%)
When was sodium hypochlorite invented?
Sodium hypochlorite has a long history. In the year 1785, a Frenchman Berthollet used it for making a liquid of bleaching. The javelin company used it and called it ‘liqueur de javelin.’ In the beginning, it was used for bleach cotton.
It got much popularity very quickly for its specific characteristics. It has the power to remove a stain from clothes at room temperature. In France, it is still popular as ‘eau de Jave’l.
What are standard features of sodium hypochlorite?
Sodium hypochlorite is a yellowish, clear and characteristic odor. It had the density of 1.1 (5,5% water solution).
For domestic use, it is a bleaching agent and contains 5% sodium hypochlorite. When it is concentrated, it has a concentration of ten to fifteen percent sodium hypochlorite.
Sodium hypochlorite is not fixed. Chlorine evaporates from 0.75 gram of the solution. It happens when chlorine contact with sunlight, acids or some metals and corrosive gasses or poisons. Sodium hypochlorite is a kind of strong oxidation. It is inflammable.
You need to remember these characteristics at the time of storage, transport or at the time of using sodium hypochlorite.
What is water disinfection?
Water disinfection refers to remove, kill or deactivate microorganisms. The disinfection will destroy or deactivate the germ and resist the growth or the reproduction of germs. If people drink this kind of polluted water, they will be sick.
A process related to disinfection is called sterilization. During sterilization process, all microorganisms are killed well whether it is harmful or harmless.
Why should I disinfect my drinking water?
If you like to drink water, you need to remove viruses, parasites, and bacteria from water. Germs are mixed with water and can cause many serious diseases. These are called water-borne infections.
The most common infections are Cryptosporidium, Salmonella, Campylobacter, Cholera, Amoebic dysentery, Guardia (beaver fever), and Toxoplasmosis.
Water-borne diseases happen when animals or human being feces absorbing these germs mixed into the drinking water. The water of streams and lakes become more infected than the water from deep in the ground. The surface water is more infected with germs.
Can I apply bleach to disinfect water?
Yes, you can. When you have not an alternate way to boil water, you can use beach into the water to make it fresh or pure. You should use unscented bleach. Never use the scented bleach, bleaches with added cleaners, color safe bleaches, and nonchlorine bleach.
Bleach will kill the germ into the water. But there are some germs which will remain in the water. Treated water means the water is disinfected with the bleach. Bleach has no effect on water if it contains chemicals or highly polluted.
You can boil water to remove parasites like Cryptosporidium and Giardia. If you are sure that water is not properly treated with bleach, please do not drink it.
Mix the bleach and water together. Cover water well and then waits for at least thirty minutes before use it as drinking. Still, you will get the chlorine smell after the scheduled time. It remains, again add two drops. Wait again for 15 minutes.
If you see water is cloudy, or take water from the lake or stream or shallow well, you may add four drops of odorless household bleach for one liter of water.
How to purify water with bleach
- You can disinfect one gallon of water with eight to sixteen drops of household bleach. If water is cloudy, you can use more. Shake and then keep it for thirty minutes. One teaspoon will purify five gallons of water. After treating, you will feel the chlorine smell of the water. If it does not do the same thing again.
- Household bleach is often very harmless for the users. The smell of chlorine is not bad at all. It implies that the water is pollutant free, and there is no germ in the water. Once disinfected or treated the smell of chlorine will go away within few days.
- If you use water from large tank regularly, you need to treat it once or twice a month with 1 oz. Bleach/ 200 gallons or 5 oz. bleach/ 1000 gallons.
- Bleach destroys viruses and bacteria, breaks down and stops smells. It is very effective germ killer alkaline totally neutralized rapidly. It will not remain in the tank more than few days. Sunlight is a must to grow germs. Keep water in a dark place.
The merits and demerits of sodium hypochlorite use
Why we need to purify water with bleach
- Making baby formula.
- At the time of brushing your teeth
- Preparing tea or coffee.
- Washing or cleaning vegetable or fruits fresh.
- Make drink mixes like using drink crystals or juice concentrates
- If you use hand to wash the dishes, let it dry. If there is no hot or sanitation cycle on the dishwasher, then soak the dish for one minute in warm water or solution of bleach. You may add two ml bleach in one liter of untreated water.
- Filling domestic dishes.
- Creating ice cubes. Freezing never destroys the germs or make water clean.
- Bathing children
Water is a must for our life. There are no alternatives to pure water. Freshwater is essential to run several functions of our body. All the cleansing and healing system of our body requires pure water.
Now medical science has discovered the usefulness of water in our body for the normal function of the body. Our body is mainly made of water.
More than 70 % of our body is made of water. If we analyze more, we see 75% presence of water in our brain, 80% in our blood and 96% water in the human liver.
So now we easily understand the necessity of water in our body. We need to use pollutant free, fresh and pure water in our life. It is the best way to obtain safe water in the emergency situation where water is a must to survive.